Monday 25 April 2011

Camber Sands - 2/46


Easter Sunday 24 April 2011
Given that the weather was so bloody hot, and we'd been grafting in the garden all day Friday and Saturday we decided on an Easter Sunday treat, a day out at the sea-side! After giving due consideration to various options we decided that Camber Sands would tick the most boxes. We've been there many times previously and always enjoyed it.

Our journey down was accompanied by Lynda Snell, Kenton Archer, Jolene Perks (without her ciggies), Joe Grundy and many other Ambridge residents - yep, it was Archers omnibus all the way down to East Sussex' finest beach.

I've never seen CS's as busy as this occasion, we've always managed to get a parking spot next to the beach! However I reckon it's had a sudden rise in popularity as the car park that normally costs a couple of quid was now £9 for 4 hours - that's right, £9 FOR FOUR HOURS! Anyhoo, we weren't gonna let that stop us, we parked on the road for free.

When we got on the beach we had another shock - the tide was out, and mean o-u-t! We had to walk a couple of hundred yards to get to the water. We walked through the wash away from the crowds - I've never seen so many tattoo's, and I'm from Cleethorpes! Even the kids had transfer tattoo's as tramp stamps and shoulder blade tats! Great to see/hear a very cosmopolitain crowd though... English, Polish, French, Italian, Indian and many more I didn't recognise.

We settled down ontop of the dunes far from the maddening crowd, ate our butties (cheese and homemade coleslaw since you ask), the temperature was in the high 20's so I decided it was time for my dip.

The water was lovely, not too cold that you couldn't swim, but cold enough to make you catch your breath initially. It was an incoming tide so I was able to swim quite far out in a diagonal line before getting nervous, however the return swim was brilliant - half the effort (due to swimming with the tide) and I even caught a couple of warm currents! I stayed in for about 20 minutes and swam about 300/350 metres - which wasn't too bad in just my swimmers!

1 comment: