Tuesday 3 May 2011

Two in one day!!! 30 April 2011

This is me - not Daniel Craig :-)

Morgan, Sasha and me

Getting in


Harlech beach - 6/46

Another stunning day in North Wales, what on earth is going on here? I've never ever known it to be sunny for so long in part of the country!

Well, we had breakfast and decided on a beach day, great for me as I wanted more salty swimming. We found our way to Harlech Beach where the wind was using the sand to grit-blast your legs! We walked onto the beach and headed straight to the waterside that was a good 500m from the dunes. We got changed in front of a group of hippies, complete with them balloon pants that only western 'travellers' buy in india and cans of Carling! Here's a quiz question for you, as devised by Morgan... what are the names of the only remaining English lager producers? We could only come up with Carling and Kestrel (Super).

I digress, Morgan and I decided on a straight dash for the water that we fully expected to be chilly, imagine our surprise when we found we'd got it right, it was chilly... and some! We splashed around for a while then tried to swim with difficulty due to the temperature. We got out after about 15 mins during which time Sasha joined us for a quick splash, as we walked back to the group I saw Sharad walking towards us in just his swimmers, obviously we splashed him, then I joined him for a re-dip. We got out and stood chatting for a while, when Morgan gave that knowing nod - another dash and we were in again! However that was to be the last dip, we dried off in about a minute due to the wind, then decided to leave the hippies to have their 'moment'.


Portmadog - 7/46
We decided on a trip over the bay to Portmadog, what a place this is... a rare mix of the blue-rinse brigade, local and holidaying chavs, hippies, beer-heads and posh peeps. An amazing place to people watch, although I wouldn't watch too closely or you'll end up with a shiner (either version!). We enjoyed fish and chips on the high street - well, I had chips and gravy obviously, washed down with a can if cider - cheers Morgs.

We ambled past the harbour towards the beaches, over the headlands into stunning bays and scrambled around on rocks. We enjoyed amazing views of the Lleyn Peninsula. Again the wind was using the sand to strip layers of skin away from our legs so we decided on a brief pause against some rocks - another can of cider... cheers Morgs! It was at this point I decided on another dip.

No one knew I was going is as I made a quick dash towards the water (consequently there are no pictures). The water was just as cold this time, there's a recurrent theme developing here, but I managed to stay in a while and struggle against a very strong incoming tide. It took me about 10 minutes to swim about 100m and another minute to swim the same 100m back, I'm just grateful the tide was incoming and not outgoing!

So there we have it - two swims in a day, not bad when you consider it's still only April.

No comments:

Post a Comment